With the right attorney for your legal matter, you can avoid an endless, confusing maze.

With the right attorney for your legal matter, you can avoid an endless, confusing maze.

Helping You Modify Existing Court Orders

As your life changes you may need to modify any existing child custody or support cases. If your circumstances or the needs of your child change, then child custody and support can also be changed.

Attorney Andrew A. Bokser can guide you through the process of obtaining court-ordered modifications of child support, child custody and visitation in New York. With offices in Brooklyn and Garden City, he represents clients in family law cases throughout the New York City area, including Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Child Support Modifications

Child support that was awarded several years ago may need to be changed. If the payer’s income increases over time, then the payments may be recalculated using New York’s current child support guidelines. Conversely, if you lose your job or are forced to take a lower-paying job, child support payments may be reduced.

Usually child support payments may only be reduced if the change in your financial circumstances was involuntary. If you quit your job, the court is unlikely to grant your application for a reduction in child support.

Child Custody Or Visitation Modifications

The key to child custody and visitation modification is the best interests of the child. For example, if an older child expresses a wish to live with a different parent, child custody may be changed. Custody may also be changed if the parent with primary custody engages in behavior that puts the child at risk.

In addition, when a parent relocates out of state, child custody and visitation orders may be modified. For example, the court may reduce child support payments to make up for the cost of transportation for child visits or change the visitation schedule from alternate weekends to longer visits during school breaks and the summer.

Discuss Your Unique Situation Today

To discuss the facts of your child custody or support modification case with lawyer Andrew A. Bokser at our Brooklyn or Garden City law office, call or fill out our contact form. Evening appointments are available.