With the right attorney for your legal matter, you can avoid an endless, confusing maze.

With the right attorney for your legal matter, you can avoid an endless, confusing maze.

Defending Your Child Against Juvenile Charges

If your child has been charged with a crime, it is important that you speak with a juvenile crimes defense attorney as soon as possible to make sure that your child’s rights and future are protected.

Attorney Andrew A. Bokser has the experience to guide you through the family court process and will work to achieve a positive outcome for your family. Another recent change in New York law will permit some children who were 16 or 17 when they committed the offense to remain in Family Court instead of being tried as adults in Supreme Court. However, depending on the offense that the youth is charged with, they still may be prosecuted in Supreme (adult) Court.

If you need legal help with juvenile delinquency proceedings, contact an experienced juvenile delinquency defense lawyer by calling Andrew A. Bokser at 718-834-1904.

What Happens When Children Are Accused Of Crimes In New York City?

If your child is charged with a crime as a juvenile, the case is considered a civil proceeding and not a criminal case. While the case will be handled in family court, the consequences can still be very serious. Depending on the offense, your child can be placed on probation, put in a group home or sent to a secure setting that is similar to a prison and kept there until he or she reaches the age of 21.

My Child Was Arrested. What Next?

The first few days after your child’s arrest are a critical period. The early involvement of an attorney can often lead to a favorable resolution before the case even goes to court.

Police are supposed to make an effort to contact parents following a juvenile arrest. If you are contacted, you should try to keep your child from making incriminating statements to police. A child has the same right to an attorney as an adult.

In New York, a juvenile offense is a crime committed by a child from ages 7 to 16. By law, a child under 7 years of age cannot form the intent to commit a crime. A child over 16 is tried in adult court. (However, under newly enacted laws, the age limit in family court will increase to 18 in some instances.) Juveniles may also be tried in adult court depending on the seriousness of the offense. The stakes for young adults in criminal court are much higher than if the case were heard in family court. Andrew A. Bokser can let you know what your options are and what type of punishment your child may expect.

Juvenile records are supposed to be sealed. However, if your child is found responsible for a juvenile offense, that information will be visible to court officials and could affect your child in the future.

Call For An Initial Consultation Right Away

It is important to discuss the facts of your child’s case as soon as possible. Contact a juvenile delinquency defense lawyer by calling 718-834-1904 or emailing Mr. Bokser at  for an initial consultation. Evening appointments are available.